First and foremost, it is very important that you feed your dog a quality dog food. All dog foods are not created equal. Make sure that you ask your vet for the latest recommendations at every veterinarian appointment as we are continually learning about new research and best species appropriate recommendations to optimize your dogs health and longevity! We offer our recommendations and advise based on the current information and experience we have accumulated over the years. Your vet may have new recommendations based on the latest research studies which are ongoing.
There are many brands and it can be confusing so to keep it simple we have done the research for you to make everything easy!
The better the ingredients, the better your dog’s digestion, the shinier their coat, and in many cases, the longer their life!
We have researched dog foods, and have found that there are companies using high quality human grade, holistic ingredients. Foods that are not made with fillers and poor quality ingredients, but foods that will contribute to helping your dog live a long and healthy life.
Not all kibble is created equal!
We try to stay up to date on the latest reviews of dog foods to recommend. Some of the foods that have had consistently great reviews are: Earthborn Puppy Vantage, these are what your puppy will start out on. As your puppies gets older we highly recommend Earthborn Rabbit, Earthborn Alaska Pollock and Meadows. Orijen (Regional Red) also have some good kibbles. We never feed any Pork products or pork treats.
These foods will cost a little more, but you feed less as your dog’s digestive system absorbs more of the nutrients. You usually see less stools as well. The cost of the food may initially seem high, but usually you are feeding less than you would if you were purchasing a grocery store food. Your dog is a loved family member and deserves to be fed a quality rich food that will keep him or her in the best possible health for a very, very long time!
Recommended Dog & Puppy Food & Treats
For the puppies first food and gradually feeding of quality all stages adult dog food, we feed our Doodles.
Recommended Puppy Food feeding schedule
- Food to buy – Earthborn
Vantage Puppy, this is an all stages food and what we are feeding the puppies.
- Breakfast is 1/2 cup ( important give a 1/4 cup at a time ) 2 – feedings in the morning. WATER: give the first drinking water 40 mins after food, then freshwater all day.
- Lunch is 1/2 a cup — two feedings of 1/4 an of a-cup.
- Dinner is ONLY 1/4 a CUP or less than half of other meals. As the puppy grows give puppy more food. Some puppies “graze” and this is fine and normal, leave their food out for an hour or so, but don’t free feed.
- Do not mix wet canned or any water or soft food with dry kibble, can create digestion problems, and it’s a choking hazard!
- We recommend Earthborn because it is high quality and is recognized by the USA DogFDA standards.
- Water: Make sure your puppy always has clean water, we do a quart or more for a puppy and change-out 5 times daily.
- Your pup will go potty about 15 to 20 minutes after eating.
- Supplements: for Health:
Quality Coconut oil – unrefined organic – is called “ Virgin Coconut “ at 3 to 5 months give one teaspoon or less and as an adult give about a 1 tablespoon, about 3 times week.
* Only after the puppy is 3 months old, and only 2 to 3 times weekly.
- Plain Whole milk Yogurt about 1 teaspoon. ( for the puppy) not with mealtime, a couple of times a week.
- You can give organic cooked pumpkin, sweet potato ONLY about -1 tablespoon with (cooked hamburger meat meatball size) 3 or 4 times a month for extra nutrition. This helps to firm up the puppies’ stool.
- 5-month-old Puppy – start feeding Earthborn Rabbit as a Treat for about a month.
- Feed both Earthborn Puppy, Earthborn Lamb, Earthborn Rabbit or Alaska Pollock (or a little of both) till a year old. Then start to wean off puppy food.
Best to buy small bags of dog food that are 15lbs to start with, especially when introducing new food and protein sources, start small and gradually add more to mix
Earthborn Alaska Pollock
Earthborn Meadow Feast
Do NOT mix wet food with Dry dog Food Kibble, it can create digestion problems, and it’s a choking hazard.
Recommended Chew Treat
Rawbbel is a quality puppy and dog treat and we crumble onto kibble sometimes.