According to the American Animal Hospital Association’s 1995 Pet Owner Survey, roughly 30 percent of pet owners have lost a pet at one time. With that in mind, we offer these tips for finding your pet.
Five Things To Do
If you lose your pet, here are the first five things you should do:
- Rally your family and friends and go looking. This is especially important if you realize soon that the pet is missing.
- Call your veterinarian. If your pet is wearing a rabies tag on its collar, the tag number often can be traced to your veterinarian who can then help reunite you with your lost pet.
- Call every animal shelter or humane organization in your area. Visit the most likely shelters in person because you know your pet better than anyone else. Keep checking daily!
- Check with neighbors and put up signs around your neighborhood (or area the pet was last seen) that include a photo or description of your pet, your phone number, and how long your pet has been missing.
- Call your local newspaper and place a “lost pet” ad. Also check the newspaper daily for “found pets” ads. Often they will print found ads for free.
Print the 10 Things To Do – 10 find lost dog.
See lots of fun photos and videos of our GorgeousDoodles families on our Pics and Vids page, and on our YouTube and Facebook accounts!